Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Vantage Point




Yesterday I watched 'Vantage point' at the cinema. It was my stupid idea of the day. I really wanted to watch the movie but I knew I probably get angry about how US producers and scripts think of spain and spanish people. Let's start!
The president of the united states is shot during a conference about terrorism in Salamanca, Spain.
Dennis Quaid and Mathew Fox are the bodyguards, Eduardo Noriega is the spanish policeman, Forest Whitaker is the lucky fool US tourist and Sigourney Weaver has a little role, but it is always a pleasure to see her in the big screen.
When I saw all these spanish flags in the major square of Salamanca I thought 'ohhh, damm', we usually are not very proud of our flag, so it is a bit strange. But if you can forget all these people with their flags, you can concentrate in the movie. There is action, but nothing new since 'The Bourne Ultimatum'. I liked the idea of a multiple point of view, nothing new again, but the fifth time you see the clock you wants to kill someone.
When the action is outside of the square I was again outside of the movie asking myself how similar is Salamanca to anywhere in Mexico or how many moroccan neighborhoods are in Salamanca.
This reminds me to 'Mission impossible 2', when John Woo decided to change our 'fiestas' of cities. Although I loved the scene of flamenco dancers at slow camera, but this is another tale.

So, if you want to see the movie, you are going to see good performances except for Forest Whitaker, probably because of the role, and a typical action movie in Mexico, sorry in Spain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.